It All Goes Back In The Box

      Many years ago before I had a family of my own I heard an analogy for life that resonated with my own philosophy. The basic idea was that no matter how well you played a game (chess, checkers, parcheesi) at the end of the game all the cards or tokens you acquired went back into the box. It’s very similar to the “you don’t take it with you” adage. 

    I spent many years honing my MMA skills to become a skilled fighter. After a winning record and dipping my toes into the professional fighting world, I retired with an injury and a child on the way. My conquests were short lived and only memorialized in a few medals collecting dust on the shelves or a belt hanging in a gym that sees a new generation of athletes.  

    The last five years of my life have been dedicated to raising my three young sons.  Without family living nearby, I spend the majority of my time with my young boys.  Although some days it feels overwhelming due to the natural demands of young children, I remind myself that watching your children grow up is essentially and endless string of goodbyes.  There are "lasts" that happen all the time and you are not aware of it until some time has passed.

    I created this blog as a diary of my journey to show my children the beauty of the natural world and inspire others to do the same. 

 It all goes back in the box- one day the children grow up and all that remains are memories.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Embracing Place-Based Learning: Where Education Meets the World

The Importance of Free Play

Navigating the Wilderness: Understanding Typical Hiking Risks